The plot centers around a Grail War faultily copied from the Third Holy Grail War in Fuyuki. After the end of the third Grail War, an organization from the United States that has magi separate from the London-based Mage Association as members took data from Fuyuki's Grail War and planned their own ritual. After seventy years, they used the city Snowfield as the Sacred Land for their own Grail War. They were unable to successfully copy every aspect of the ritual, which led to it acting only as an imitation that has lost the Saber class and allowed for the summoning of strange Servants due to the definition of a "hero" being blurred.
The Mage's Association has sent Rohngall and his pupil, Faldeus, to investigate the city and the status of the war. Faldeus, a spy from the US organization, has Rohngall sniped upon arrival, despite knowing that Rohngall was simply a puppet. He announces that their Holy Grail War has been in development and that it is real, which causes an uproar at the Clock Tower, and wishes to "advertise" the project to the Association.
- Ayaka Sajyou (Player in the prototype version)
- The master of Saber.
- Tine Chelc
- The master of Archer.
- Tubaki Kuruoka
- The master of Rider
- Orlando Reeve
- The master of Caster.
- Jester Karture
- The master of Assassin.
- Flat Escardos
- The master of Berserker.
- The master of Lancer.
- Faldeus Dioland
- The master of True Assassin.
- Bazdilot Cordelion
- The master of True Archer.
- The master of True Caster.
- The master of Watcher. He himself is meant to become True Lancer.
- False Archer
- The King of Heroes, Gilgamesh.
- False Lancer
- The Chains of Heaven, Enkidu.
- False Rider
- The Embodiment of Disease, Pale Rider.
- False Caster
- The Author of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas.
- False Assassin
- The 19th Hassan-i-Sabbah Candidate.
- False Berserker
- The Serial-Killer, Jack the Ripper
- The Lionheart, Richard I. Ayaka's Servant. Due to the nature of the War, there is no Saber-class Servant, but Ayaka Sajyou summons a Saber separate from the system who claims his purpose is to return the false war to the path of a real Holy Grail War.
- True Archer
- The Distorted Hero, Alcides
- True Rider
- The Queen of Amazons, Hippolyta
- True Assassin
- True Caster
- The Trickster, François Prelati
- True Berserker
- A unique Servant, that is supposed to guide Sigma into becoming True Lancer.
- Hansa Cervantes
- A priest and a member of the church.
- Lord El-Melloi II
- Lord El-Melloi II is highly regarded in the Clock tower and he is the professor of Flat. He once participated in the Fourth Holy Grail War.
- Caubac Alcatraz
- Cashura (カーシュラ, ?)
- He is a magus working for the US government. He originally intended to summon King Arthur.
- Kischur Zelretch Schweinorg
- Mr. and Mrs. Kuruoka
- The parents of Tubaki Kuruoka.
- Master of Archer
- The original master of Archer.
- Synthetic beast creator
- The creator of the chimera wolf.
It was originally placed on Narita's homepage under the title of "Fake/states night", presented as a prologue and introduction for a role playing style game as an April Fool's joke. The text was taken down after April Fool's, but was later rereleased in the form of a novel included as an extra with the magazine TYPE-MOON Ace 2, with illustrations by Shidzuki Morii and an afterword by the author.
It was announced that both a novel and manga series will be published, and a brief trailer was made.
- Volume 1 translations - 2008 version full translation, Gilgamesh vs Enkidu, Extra chapter 2 (2015 version)
- Volume 2 translations - Interlude, Noble Phantasms vs Dead Apostles, Jester vs Hanza (1, 2, 3), Gilgamesh vs Archer (1 2 3)
- Fake/states night site
- All the Volume translations - HumbertoZero's Randomness