Magical energy is the capacity to actualize mysteries, a series of supernatural phenomena. The harness of this energy is the fundamental basis of all magecraft, and it is comparable to that of gasoline. There have been many names for this energy. The energy in the atmosphere is called Mana, the meaning of which is approximately the same as in Polynesian culture. Ether is not a form of magical energy, but instead something else entirely. It cannot exist independently or do anything by itself, so it is always bound to some sort of recipient. For that reason, magi use it mostly by embedding it into an object or as a catalyst to initiate nature interference Magecraft. The only exceptions to said rule are the Holy Grail of the Einzberns and True Daemons, who recreate miracles by just releasing energy.
Magical Energy is divided into two types, and there is a vast difference between that permeating the natural environment and that generated by an individual.
Mana (マナ, Mana?) is a form of energy that is produced by the World. It acts as the life force of the planet and occupies the atmosphere. Although it is said that Mana can be found in large quantities, it takes a fairly long time to fully replenish once it has been used up. Mana is the primary source of energy for Nature Spirits, and each of these spirits make use of the energy for a variety of reasons.
If the atmosphere of an area is controlled by something, it is impossible to utilize large-scale Magecraft within that area. This is because the magical energy within that area cannot be utilized. Only small-scale spells utilizing an individual's internal storage can be utilized.
Od (オド, Odo?) is the life-force energy found within living organisms such as humans and animals. Once depleted, the Magic Circuits that are stored in the human soul will begin to replenish it. Od is produced as long as one lives, but the amount a person can store varies from individual to individual.
The difference between Mana and Od is their abundance. Mana can be found almost anywhere and in great quantities, thus it is called the Greater Source by the magi. As Od is the energy inside humans and animals, it is much smaller in amount and is called the Lesser Source. Strictly speaking, Mana and Od are energy in its raw state, whereas magical energy is the name given to the energy once it is converted by the Magic Circuits. Mana can be taken in accordingly with the capacities of the Magic Circuits, but the actual conversion process will take time.
Regarding nature interference Magecraft mentioned before, at least for large-scale spells, activation requires the use of Mana regardless of the amount of Od that the magus has. In fact, it is common practice among the magi to start up their spells with Od and then keep them running with Mana. Only small-scale spells that do not interact with the environment directly are performed entirely with Od, an example of which would be Reinforcement.
Magical energy itself does not have any elemental attribute. However, once embedded into an object that does have said attribute (such as jewels) or that is under the influence of Nature Spirits, it will attune itself to the elements in question until the moment that it is released.
The magical energy itself is held only inside the body fundamentally and if released in the outer world, it will return to the life force and be scattered into the Greater Source. This has also been expressed as "evaporation." Magical power is prone to merge with the fluids (such as blood or semen) of the magus, and these fluids are good at holding in magical energy for some time even after leaving the body. Because of this, by drinking a magus' blood, one can replenish one's magical power. Magi with monetary problems have also been said to sell their bodily fluids, in which magical energy has been merged, to the Association.
Specific Od levelsEdit
- Average matured magus: 25 units of magical energy (Fate).
- Ciel: 100 times the amount of a magus based on an average magus having 40, giving her over 4000.
- Shirou Emiya: 20~30 units of magical energy.
- Sakura Matou: Normally, she should have about the same amount as Rin, but the Worms in her body are constantly consuming her energy. When connected to the Holy Grail and Angra Mainyu, the energy inside her body is equivalent to 1,000,000,000,000 units of magical energy, already on the level of a Counter Guardian. However, her maximum output of this energy can only equal her original amount, approximately 1000 units of magical energy at a time.
- Rider’s Pegasus: 100 times the amount of a magus, so about 2500 units of magical energy.
- Saber (with Shirou as Master): 1200~1300 units of magical energy.
- Rin Tohsaka: 20 times the amount of an average matured magus, so about 500 units of magical energy. Maximum output is about 1000 units of magical energy.
- Aoko Aozaki is capable of absurd feats of Magecraft using just her Od. An approximate comparison would be of a car traveling 1,000 kilometers with only one liter of gasoline.
- Caster’s cost for a bolt of light is around three times Shirou's full capacity, and she can launch over ten at once in multiple volleys.
- Shirou Emiya’s cost for:
- Reinforcement: 2 units of magical energy.
- Tracing: 5 units of magical energy.
- In ancient Egypt, there was a practice of sewing one's eyelids together to prevent magical energy from escaping the body.
- Saber’s consumption (with Shirou as Master):
- Battle with no damage: 10 units of magical energy.
- Amount regained per day: 8 units of magical energy.
- Amount needed to maintain her body per day: 6 units of magical energy.
- Amount spent fighting in the first day: 250 units of magical energy.
 Tsukihime Dokuhon PlusPeriod - talk. Glossary: Magical Energy [Term], p.194
Magical Energy [Term]
The source that powered all magecraft, analogous to gasoline.
There were many names for it. For example, the magical energy in the atmosphere was called Mana. The meaning of Mana was approximately the same as that in the Polynesian culture. Also, Ether was not a form of Magical Energy as it was something else.
The Magical Energy in this story included Mana and the Magical Energy generated by magi themselves.
The difference in magnitude between the Magical Energy that permeated the natural environment and the Magical Energy generated by an individual was so great, it was foolish to compare the two.
Since the atmosphere in the Engulfing Forest was under Einnashe's control, one could not utilize the Magical Energy of the environment. As a result, most magecraft could not be activated, a magus could only activate very small-scale spells that utilize an individual's internal storage.
As an aside, this thing called "an individual's Magical Energy" as used by Blue in a foolish yet clever manner. To use a simile, it was like driving a car for 1000 km on 1 L of gas.
Also, the capacity of Ciel was ridiculously large. If a regular magus' gas tank was 40, then Ciel's was more than 4000. She truly deserved the name Miss Glutton.
|Bounded Field • Conceptual Weapon • Gradation Air • Magic • (Second Magic • Third Magic • Fifth Magic) • Magical Spells • Marble Phantasm • Mystic Code • Mystic Eyes • Mystic Eyes of Death Perception • Psychic • Reality Marble|
|Daemon • Demon • Divine Spirit • Doll • Dragon • Familiar • Golem • Homunculus • Humans • Magician • Magus • Phantasmal Species • Spirits • Vampire|
|Holy Grail War|
|Command Spells • Great Grail • Heroic Spirit • Holy Grail • Master • Noble Phantasm • Parameter Rules • Servant • Servant classes • Skill|
|Church • Chaldea Security Organization • Demon Hunter Organization • Mage's Association • The Twenty-seven Dead Apostle Ancestors|
|Akasha • Chants and Incantations • Elements • World • Magic Circuit • Magical Energy • Soul • Magic Crest|