Magic (魔法, Mahō?), also referred to as True Magic and Sorcery in other translations, is a class of mystery that surpasses Magecraft and all current sciences of that age. It represents events that are unachievable through the mere expenditure of time and resources, so no matter the difficulty, events brought about through such methods will never be seen as Magic. It is considered the ultimate accomplishment of a Magus, and only within the grasp of those who have accessed the Swirl of the Root.
"Magic" can be differentiated from "Magecraft" in that the consequences of its use are ostensibly "impossible" or "miraculous." The end output of a spell that creates fire is within dictates of the world because something as mundane as lighting a match can yield the same effect. Concepts like time manipulation, teleportation, spatial warping and quarantine, and the resurrection of the dead are miracles thought to be possible only through the application of Magic. The Denial of Nothingness, Operation of Parallel Worlds and Time Travel are required to perform a resurrection, but the complete resurrection of the dead is something that not even Magic has granted since the days of old.
Magic is attained by reaching the Root, but not succumbing to it like those who are said to have disappeared from the World upon reaching it. The First and Fifth are similar in that a path to the Root, a Gate of Akasha, was created and Magic was gained upon their arrival, while the Second, Third, and Fourth were created as a means to reach that place. In the case of the Fifth, the path was discovered and left unentered by Aoko Aozaki's grandfather, and its mysteries were passed on to her when she "turned tail and ran right at the front of the door." It was the only land where Magic could be achieved in Japan until that point, but the land itself no longer mattered after she inherited it.
Magecraft can be classified as human wisdom and the world, while Magic is the solitude outside of that, included in neither. Magecraft focuses on the studying of history, the works of man and the circle of life of the planet, but Magic is considered the providence of a god beyond the skies. It is considered an irrefutable crime against both humanity and the planet, so reaching out to the Root is something that brings about the Counter Force. Those who do achieve newly acquired Magic are killed by a "red shadow", but Aoko managed to avoid it somehow. It is said that the beginning first changed everything, the following second acknowledged many, the resulting third showed the future, the linking fourth concealed itself, and the final fifth had already lost its meaning. Someone once said "Had it only ended at the third."
Prior to the conclusion of the Age of Gods two millennia before present day, Magecraft was close to Magic in effect, making Magecraft synonymous to Magic and all magi considered Magicians, but the gap between them has since widened. With the advancement of science, the number of thing that "could be done" increased, causing Magic to diminish. Though Magic users were common at the dawn of humanity, their proliferation receded with rise of civilization, and only four of the five remaining Magics officially recognized by the Mage's Association are presently still in use. If "what had been possible only by Magic" becomes achievable by developments in magery or scientific technology, said Magic will be lowered to a mere "craft", and many Magics have been lost from the world in the same way.
Magic itself will never fade out, as the arrival of magi at existing or yet uncharted Magic can allow for new Magic to be born and the numbers to be increased. The actual chance of such is more difficult than a camel passing through the eye of a needle and finding one speck of a jewel in the desert, but it is not impossible. It is said that no more new Magics will emerge, and it is likely that humans will eventually completely eliminate Magic. Youths becoming scientists while attempting to understand fantastic events witnessed as children come to accept the concept that such events were natural phenomenons. Mikiya Kokutou points out that the "unrealized Magic" must be "one that brings happiness to everyone."
All magi strive to arrive at it, and even if they cannot reach it, the next generation will strive for it as well, continuing generation after generation while weaving the history of trial and error of magery. The existence of the Magicians is proof that it is not an impossible struggle, so magi continue to strive for such heights. Believing they will one day reach the stars in the sky with their own hands, they continue to dedicate themselves to their studies daily.
Those who practice Magic are called Magicians. They have control over their own mysteries, but also practice Magecraft. Zelretch's Magecraft is at the level where he was given the title Wizard Marshall by the Association, while Aoko is inferior in skill as a magus to the lecturers of the Clock Tower. There are many magi who exceed them in the area of Magecraft, while their Magic is a unique mystery only available to them. Even Dead Apostle Ancestors see the Magicians as monsters, and while Aoko tries to claim that only the other four fit that description, Wallachia tell her she would find quite the monster by looking in a mirror. There are also those like Barthomeloi Lorelei, whose Magecraft comes close to the miracles achieved by Magic, and Caubac Alcatraz, who is considered to be "just a step away" from the level of the Magicians.
Of those who had lived in the time where Magic was abundant, there is Caster, having lived in the Age of Gods as a sorceress, and Merlin, who is also referred to as a user of Magic. The Magecraft that Caster executes is able to approach the realm of True Magic, but she is not a Magician. She is not compatible with the "Five True Magics of the Modern Era" because Magic was so common in her era, making her unable to learn any of them. She greatly exceeds all modern magi, including the Magicians, so she can be called “a magus that is infinitely close to the Magicians.”  In the potential future of Notes, each of the Six Sisters are capable of using Magic.
Magicians can be said to have become the adversaries of the planet, something which the human mind could not normally carry as a burden. Carrying such a power is the recklessness of changing the world. The uniqueness of the power and its transcendence can make up for the practitioner's lack of skills in Magecraft. Differences in power become irrelevant because it is able to blow away the like of skill in Magecraft.
The inheritance of Magic is similar to inheriting a path, called Ymir’s entrance or Gate of Akasha depending on the person describing it. Even if a Magician should die, it does not mean the death of the Magic utilized by them. Magic will be passed on to the inheritor of the next generation rather than disappearing. If Magic is to die, it will only be when it can be realized by normal means.
The First MagicEdit
- Name: Unknown.
- Domain: It is one of the oldest Magics, but details about it are unknown. Some magi of privileged rank know what it involves as common knowledge. Though the exact domain of the First Magic is uncertain, it is related to the generation of Ether clumps, which have been called "materialized nothing." This is similar to the concept of Denial of Nothingness (無の否定, Mu no Hitei?), a miracle capable of resurrection, only replicable through the use of Magic. The idea behind the Denial of Nothingness is that the state of "Nothing" does not exist. All that exists must always exist, as Existence "is" and non-existence "cannot be." The ideas of generation and change are only superficial thoughts based on sensual perception, and within it, there is only one truth behind all the phenomenon seen by humans. The true existence of everything is permanent, ungenerated, indestructible, and unchanging. The contrary concept to this is that as long as there is a void, the world can continue to move across it, which is the fundamental rule to the looped world in Fate/hollow ataraxia.
- User: Deceased. The user of the First Magic is long dead, but as traces of the Magic continue to mark the world, 'five users' are still said to exist. The deceased user is the only existence recognized as worthy of respect by the blue-blooded Barthomeloi clan that cornerstones the Mage's Association in London. It is said that the person that would be the user's heir is still alive, but barely.
The Second MagicEdit
- Main article: Second Magic
- Name: Unknown; referred to as either "Zelretch" or "Kaleidoscope".
- Domain: Operation of Parallel Worlds (平行世界の運営, Heikou sekai no un'ei?)
- User: Kischur Zelretch Schweinorg. Rin Tohsaka uses fragments of it in the Heaven's Feel route of Fate/stay night.
The Third MagicEdit
- Main article: Third Magic
- Name: Heaven's Feel, Cup of Heaven (天の杯, Ten no Sakazuki?).
- Domain: Materialization of the soul.
- User: The persons most qualified to be referred to as 'users' would be Justeaze Lizrich von Einzbern, the core of the Great Grail System, and Illyasviel von Einzbern, even though she is unable to utilize it properly.
The Fourth MagicEdit
- Name: Unknown.
- Domain: Like the First True Magic, the details regarding its domain are unknown.
- User: The currently existing magicians will say that "it is there for sure" when talking about it and agree that it continues to exist. The name of the user is unknown even to them.
The Fifth MagicEdit
- Main article: Fifth Magic
- Name: Magic Blue (魔法・青, Mahō Ao?)
- Domain: Its exact domain is unknown, but it has abilities related to Time Travel (時間旅行, Jikan Ryokō?) and making the laws of conservation of mass shoulder the debts of a past without future. Touko Aozaki claims there should be more to it because time travel is also governed by the Second Magic, but she declines to speculate further on the subject.
- User: Aoko Aozaki. The "path to the 5th Magic" was developed some years ago by the 3rd Generation Head of the Aozaki clan, who was regarded as a genius.
While it can definitely be said that “there are five True Magics”, the number does not reflect “effects that rival True Magics.” There are Mystic Codes, like the Jeweled Sword of Zelretch and Zelretch’s Treasure Chest, and creatures that are “shaped through True Magic.” There are also those without definite shape that only exist "in motion" like Assassin's Tsubame Gaeshi, a limited application of the Second Magic.
It is possible for Magecraft to replicate the effects of Magic to a degree. Innate Time Control, Spatial Transportation through Command Spells and Caster's Magecraft, and Spatial Quarantine performed by Souren Araya are examples of such. Reality Marbles are considered to be a skill that approaches the miracle of Magic. While temporary, there are not many magi able to execute the World-altering grand sorcery.
Objects like Avalon and certain members of the Phantasmal Species, Phantasmal Beasts of the Millennium-Rank and Divine Beasts, can be called equal in mystery to Magic. Avalon is an absolute defense capable of blocking all five Magics, and it can be called a Magic in itself. The Phantasmal Species embody mysteries simply by existing, so they transcend normal Magecraft. Those that have lived long are similar to Magic in that even observing one can be said to be a miracle.
- ↑ Fate/complete material III - Q: It’s said that there is only one territory in Japan where True Magic can be activated. Where is that place? The lands managed by the Aozaki?
A: Yes, the Aozaki lands. Though, now that the mysteries have been passed on to Aoko, the land itself is irrelevant.
- ↑ Fate/complete material III - The Five Wizards
True Magic (Others)
A Mystery different from magecraft. The final destination of every magus.
"True Magic" achieves things that cannot be realized in a given era. An "outcome" which can be achieved through the investment of time and resources is not True Magic.
Currently, the Association has determined five Magics.
The so-called First and Second Magic are only known by a limited few in the Church.
Although it is said that no more new "Magics" will emerge, Kokuto Mikiya insightfully pointed out the unrealized Magic.
Kara no Kyoukai English | Japanese... I see. In this sense, magi and Magicians were indeed different. Only things such as time and space manipulation were currently beyond the reach of humanity. In an era where limited forms of viewing the past and future had become possible, there were very few things that were indeed impossible.
Someday ---- humans would completely eliminate Magic. Youths became scientists as they attempted to understand fantastic things they witnessed as children. In the process, they seemed to accept the concept that these fantastic events were just natural phenomenons. "Ah. Then the last Magic must be one that brings happiness to everyone." Eh, I did not really understand. "-----------" Azaka for some reason became silent.She stared at me as if she had seen something unexpected, and then suddenly turned away from me.
- ↑ Fate/complete material III: Q: Caster's ability as a magus is at the wizard level, but is it possible for Caster (Medea) to become a wizard in the future? Also, are there beings that have a "higher level as magi" than the current wizards?
A: Caster's a magus back in the day that true Magic was common so she wouldn't have good affinity with the "Five True Magics of the Modern Era" anyhow, so, she isn't going to be able to pick up True Magic.
Also there are actually quite a few magi with level higher than the current wizards. In the first place, Aozaki Aoko herself is inferior as a magus than the lecturers of the Clock Tower.
- ↑ Fate/Side Material encyclopedia entry (p.75)
- ↑ Death of True Magic, Death of a Wizard
A wizard, just like a magus, has a long life. If one uses life-prolonging Magic, it wouldn't be impossible to live a few hundred, a few thousand years either. But, the "end" will come for sure. Then, would the death of a wizard mean the death of the True Magic he uses? No, it would not. True Magic will be passed on to the inheritor of the next generation and will not disappear. If True Magic were to die, it would only be when it could be realized by normal means.
- ↑ Fate/complete material III - Effects on the Level of True Magic
|Bounded Field • Conceptual Weapon • Gradation Air • Magic • (Second Magic • Third Magic) • Magical Spells • Marble Phantasm • Mystic Code • Mystic Eyes • Mystic Eyes of Death Perception • Psychic • Reality Marble|
|Demons • Divine Spirit • Dragon • Familiar • Homunculus • Humans • Phantasmal Species • Spirits • Vampire|
|Holy Grail War|
|Command Spells • Great Grail • Heroic Spirit • Holy Grail • Master • Noble Phantasm • Servant • Servant classes • Servant Parameters|
|Barthomeloi Lorelei • Magician • Magus • Sealing Designation|
|Akasha • Chants and Incantations • Elements • Gaia • Magic Circuit • Prana • Soul • Thaumaturgical Crest|