Mystic Eyes (魔眼, magan?) grants the power to interfere with the outer world. Acquisition of Mystic Eyes happens when there is some sort of mutation in the Magic Circuits located in the area around one’s eyes. Mutations like that can be done artificially through a process similar to forging a Magic Crest. Mystic Eyes usually work like Single Action spells and are activated through the use of prana. The proof of a first-class magus since it grants great power while being easy to conceal. There also exists similar form of ability called Mystic Face, one of which is utilized by Diarmuid Ua Duibhne.
Known common types of Mystic EyesEdit
- Binding (束縛, sokubaku?): The most common Mystic Eyes, casts a suggestion spell that cripples the target upon eye contact. Weakness is that user becomes vulnerable to similar eye contact-based effects during the moment of casting. Effects can be negated by running prana through the Magic Circuits. Illyasviel von Einzbern has these eyes.
- Charm (魅惑, miwaku?): casting of a spell that distorts the target's perception so that he sees the caster as someone of great sex appeal; seemingly it only works with members of the opposite sex. Diarmuid Ua Duibhne's Mystic Face skill worked under similar concepts as these Mystic Eyes.
- Compulsion (強制, kyousei?)
- Contract (契約, keiyaku?)
- Distortion (歪曲, waikyoku?): Creates an axis of revolution in a certain area of space. A variation of it, Refraction, allows one to change the trajectory of flying objects, even those with great supernatural power such as Black Keys and the hair of Akiha Tohno. The eyes of Fujino Asagami.
- Enchantment (魅了, miryou?): The eyes possessed by most vampires, capable of high-level hypnosis. Classified as Gold under the Noble Colors system. Their power demonstrated by Arcueid and Nrvnqsr in Tsukihime.
- Flame (炎焼, enshou?):
- Illusion (幻覚, genkaku?)
- Jinx (凶運, kyouun?)
- Whisper (暗示, anji?): Allows for simple hypnotic suggestions.
It is possible to artificially manufacture Mystic Eyes by altering the Magic Circuits located in one’s eyes. However, only Mystic Eyes of the Binding, Charm and Whisper types can be produced like this. On the other hand, while inborn Mystic Eyes are rare, there are known cases of it happening and they are said to be powerful enough to intervene in destiny itself.
Fujino Asagami is a special case since her Mystic Eyes were the result of her family’s psychic ability evolving to a point that it is in par with Magecraft. Still, this raises the possibility that other Mystic Eyes are also just a powerful type of psychic ability.
In the case of effects like petrification, recognition of the nature of the Mystic Eyes weakens the effect they have on targets. It is not enough to render them ineffective, but surprise attacks are not as effective, making the rate at which the effect progresses slower. The target still has to be on their guard, else the effect will be magnified.
It is possible to suppress the power of Mystic Eyes with a magical construct called Mystic Eye Killers (魔眼殺し, Magangoroshi?). They are commonly made into glasses because Mystic Eyes are a power derived from the oculus. They are able to block more unique ones like Death Perception and Petrification, allowing someone to live a normal life without affecting themselves and those around them with the abilities of their eyes. Those of Shiki Tohno prove to be not enough for his eyes on occasion, causing him to see death even when wearing them.
Special Mystic EyesEdit
Besides the ones mentioned above, there are cases of Mystic Eyes truly unique in power. Among them include:
- The unnamed eyes possessed by Balor, the ancient Celtic god of darkness and great-grandfather of Cú Chulainn. It is the predecessor of Shiki Tohno’s Eyes of Death Perception. It could actualize the death of the target by just glaring at him.
- The (unnamed) supreme Mystic Eyes that Brunestud of the Crimson Moon had. They were designated as Rainbow under the Noble Colors system.
- The unnamed eyes possessed by Roa. Similar to Mystic Eyes of Death Perception (see below), and originally falsely considered as ones, they are fundamentally different in effect. Though Roa believed they were a result of his numerous contacts with death due to his reincarnation ability, they in fact originated from his host, SHIKI Tohno. They allowed Roa to see and destroy the life of other living beings.
- Cybele, Mystic Eyes of Petrification, are possessed by Medusa.
- Mystic Eyes of Death Perception are extremely unique Eyes possessed by Shiki Tohno and Shiki Ryougi.
Pure Eyes (淨眼, Jougan?), also called Eyes of Purity, are the ability to see that which normally cannot be seen. They are similar to Mystic Eyes, and, while both are inheritable, Pure Eyes differ from them. Mystic Eyes are traits of the body, something like inheriting the traits of a parent's body, while Pure Eyes are like inheriting fate and destiny, the offspring continuing the parent's will and quest. They are a more common occurrence than Mystic Eyes, and they can only be inherited by "humans" with high spiritual power. They can be said to reflect the parent's karma in the offspring, and they are an ability saints may often possess.
Kiri Nanaya displays the ability to read intentions and emotions through color. Shiki Tohno can see that which is not supposed to be seen, such as Akiha Tohno's Origami. Both his and Shiki Ryougi's Mystic Eyes of Death Perception can be called a hybrid power, combining both Pure Eyes and Mystic Eyes.
- ↑ Heaven's Feel route Day 10 - No / Future plans
Kara no Kyoukai Special Pamphlet - Encyclopedia: Mystic Eyes Killers [Ornaments] English | Japanese
Mystic Eyes Killers [Ornaments]
A magical construct capable of suppressing the power of Mystic Eyes.
Since Mystic Eyes are a power derived from the oculus, Mystic Eyes Killers are commonly made into glasses. The glasses Touko wore are also Mystic Eyes Kilers.
The protagonist of Tsukihime, Tohno Shiki, acquired Mystic Eyes Killers crafted by Touko from someone. They relieved him of the unbearable sight of Death, and allowed him to live normally again.
This also reflected just how self-abusive Ryougi Shiki was, declining the Mystic Eyes Killers. No... it was more an episode that reflected her heart of clear water.
As a side note, Touko poured an obscene amount of money into constructing Ryougi Shiki's Mystic Eyes Killers, but Shiki shoved them back saying "Why should I do it to please you?"
The reason Shiki declined the Mystic Eyes Killer was the same as when she refused to wear the uniform of Reien Girls' Academy.
TYPE-MOON Fes. Official Pamphlet 10th Anniversary Q & A Booklet:
Q: Are Ryougi's Mystic Eyes of Death Perception a type of Eyes of Clarity?
Q: Are Ryougi's Mystic Eyes of Death Perception a type of Eyes of Clarity?
A: Yes. The Ryougis and Nanayas were good friends! (A long time ago)
Although the two types of eyes are inheritable, if you consider regular Mystic Eyes as traits that modify the body..... something like the inheritance of the traits of the parents' body...... then Eyes of Clarity are the inheritance of fate and destiny......the offspring continues the parents' will and their quest.
Even though Eyes of Clarity are the parents' karma reflected in the offspring, they can only be inherited by "humans" with high spiritual potential.
In other words, Mystic Eyes of Death Perception are a type of hybrid power. The cheating powers of both Shikis ought to have a limit!
|Bounded Field • Conceptual Weapon • Gradation Air • Magic • (Second Magic • Third Magic) • Magical Spells • Marble Phantasm • Mystic Code (Azoth Sword) • Mystic Eyes • Mystic Eyes of Death Perception • Psychic • Reality Marble|
|Demons • Divine Spirit • Dragon • Familiar • Homunculus • Humans • Phantasmal Species • Spirits • Vampire|
|Holy Grail War|
|Command Spells • Great Grail • Heroic Spirit • Holy Grail • Master • Noble Phantasm • Servant • Servant classes • Servant Parameters|
|Barthomeloi Lorelei • Magician • Magus • Sealing Designation|
|Akasha • Chants and Incantations • Elements • World • Magic Circuit • Prana • Soul • Magic Crest|