A Psychic (超能力者, Chō Nōryokusha?) refers to one who was born with a mutation, an Abnormal Ability (異能, Inō?) gained as a result of the brain being able to comprehend a 'channel' ("common sense", or perception of reality) not native to humans.
Psychic Power (超能力, Chō Nōryoku?), also referred to as Extrasensory Perception, this is a catch-all term to refer to the circuits that cause supernatural phenomena to occur. A form of nature interference that to the psychic comes as naturally as breathing. Unlike Magecraft, inherent ability is an absolute necessity. Psychic powers are the ultimate ability of humans, who have become an existence independent of nature. However, these powers are generally incomparable to the great abilities possessed by Demons or Mixed-Bloods. In the end, they are only human.
Psychic powers only appear by chance and are limited to one generation. Generally, one is born with both a 'normal' perception that can allow one to function in society, as well as an 'abnormal' perception (extra channel); those who only possess the latter are known as an Unfit Existence (存在不適合者, Sonzai Futekigōsha?) - for example, Fujino Asagami.
Mystic Eyes are well-known examples of psychic powers on the level of magecraft; there are methods to artificially induce their formation such as magecraft or vampiric influence, even if the user has no innate ability, though the result will be weaker than an inborn power. The members of the Demon Hunter Organization are also known psychics - refer to that page for specifics.
Note that Touko actually described 'extra senses' as a regression. Modern societies are so complex and contain so much information that normal humans would disregard anything not necessary for them. Those who can see beyond normal perception, on the other hand, will irrevocably record everything in their memories - an information overload.
Clairvoyance (透視能力, Tōshinōryoku?) is the ability to perceive beyond what is physically possible, achieved by Asagami Fujino. Possibly related to the Servant skill of the same name. Pure Eyes such as those possessed by the Nanaya clan may also qualify.
Death Resistive BodyEdit
Death Resistive Body (拒死性肉体, Kyoshisei Nikuta?), is the mixed-blood ability of the real SHIKI Tohno. Instead of simply regenerating from heavy wounds, his body is able to reshape on it's own, so that he can survive even without vital organs. This also allows him to crystallize his blood, which then can be used as a extremely fine sword or thrown weapon.
Eroding Detachment (蝕離, Shokuri?), an ability of the real SHIKI Tohno. It allows him to take in a body part of another person, by eating their flesh, and then use it as his own. It's basically like an organ transplant without a limit. This ability also allows him to reattach lost limbs and to junction his lifeforce on to another living individual, and continue to live on through that method.
Masochistic Pneumatic Automatism DiathesisEdit
Masochistic Pneumatic Automatism Diathesis (被虐霊媒体質, Higyaku Reibai Taishitsu?), is the genetic condition of Caren Hortensia which automatically expresses on one's body the spiritual disruptions caused by Demons when close to them; detecting of the spiritual constitution floating in the surrounding area being materialized that using one's own flesh, and obviously, it will result in physical damage. This ability can't be gained from training since it's purely genetic, which is why people born with these traits are valued by the Church as demon detectors.
Plunder (略奪, Ryakudatsu?), is the mixed-blood ability of Akiha Tohno is to steal the Life-Force of all living beings within her sight through a Cursed Field of 'plundering'. But at the same time is it a double-edged sword as she can plunder someones entire concept with it as well.
Precognition (未来視, Miraishi?), is the ability to perceive the future.
- Mitsuru Kamekura - His Right Eye was capable of seeing the future, while his Left Eye can see "the path" to achieve that future. This allows him to actually calculate and define the future with a 100% accuracy. As it is a future backed by calculation, gathering the evidence of actions, he must physically see the target to see the future. A power that exceeds simple precognition; however, it is a contradiction as a future that becomes certain cannot be defined as 'the future', which is by nature uncertain. Shiki remarks that he "can't actually see anything" due to this.
- "The Mother of Mifune" (Mirai Fukuin) - A simple prophet who neither 'predicts' nor 'calculates', but simply sees the future without any relevant information about the subject. She generally sees tragedies, and gives advice on how to avoid those tragedies. Thus, she notes that she is not making accurate predictions, as it can be changed. However, if her advice is not followed, then the tragedy will definitely occur with no exceptions. Shizune Seo possesses a similar ability.
- Akira Seo - Technically, she is extending her retrocognition to make accurate predictions based on information from the past and present. Thus, seeing a possibility.
It is said that Servants with a high rank of Clairvoyance are capable of precognition. Powerful instinct, both naturally and as a Servant skill is also a form of subconscious precognition. Characters who possess this particular skill are as follows:
- All Servants with the "Instinct" skill (only known example is Saber).
- Ryougi Shiki.
- Tohno Shiki (specifically noted to have instincts so advanced that they "border on precognition").
Retrocognition (過去視, Kakoshi?), is the ability to perceive the past.
- Fake Shiki (Plus-Disc) - The ability to see the records (memories) of one's life upon meeting. Also capable of sharing perceptions to an extent.
- Shiki Tohno has displayed a similar ability, having been able to see the past the original SHIKI Tohno, implied to be due to a telepathic connection established since childhood. This ability mainly took the form of seeing his "death" by SHIKI's hands through his eyes in his memories.
Shikigami Execution (式神行使, Shikigami Kōshi?), is an ability that Akiha has, but details are unknown. Although this is what sounds like how she saved Shiki's life, since a Shikigami in oriental myths is animating a dead animal or non-living object and using it as a servant.
Synchronization (感応能力, Kano Nōryoku?), is the ability of Hisui and Kohaku to transfer energy. This transference of energy is performed by the exchange of bodily fluids, such as another drinking their blood, but it is strongest in the act of intercourse.
Kara no Kyoukai Special Pamphlet - Encyclopedia: Psychic Power [Others] English | Japanese
Psychic Power [Others]
Abnormal powers. Functions that normal humans do not possess. A kind of circuitry that leads to what are commonly called paranormal activities.
Different from magecraft, inborn talents are absolutely necessary for ESP. Those possessing ESP circuits can induce paranormal phenomenons as naturally as breathing. The ESPers themselves take ESP for granted, and treat it as something they simply "can do". They only realise that they are abnormal after others (who can only comprehend "normal") have pointed it out.
In this story, Asagami Fujino is an ESPer, but since she was tampered with somewhat, her ability falls between ESP and magecraft.
ESP is normally an incidental occurrence, a sudden mutation limited to one generation.
- Kara no Kyoukai Chapter 3, "Remaining Sense of Pain".
- Kara no Kyoukai Chapter 8, "Gospel of the Future".
|Bounded Field • Conceptual Weapon • Gradation Air • Magic • (Second Magic • Third Magic) • Magical Spells • Marble Phantasm • Mystic Code (Azoth Sword) • Mystic Eyes • Mystic Eyes of Death Perception • Psychic • Reality Marble|
|Demons • Divine Spirit • Dragon • Familiar • Homunculus • Humans • Phantasmal Species • Spirits • Vampire|
|Holy Grail War|
|Command Spells • Great Grail • Heroic Spirit • Holy Grail • Master • Noble Phantasm • Servant • Servant classes • Servant Parameters|
|Barthomeloi Lorelei • Magician • Magus • Sealing Designation|
|Akasha • Chants and Incantations • Elements • World • Magic Circuit • Prana • Soul • Magic Crest|