|Character type:|| Master|
Servant (Master: )
Shirou's real identity is Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (天草四郎時貞, Amakusa Shirō Tokisada?), the teenage leader of the Shimabara Rebellion. After his rebellion ultimately failed, Shirou was sentenced to execution by decapitation.
Differing from the timeline of Fate/stay night's Third Holy Grail War where the Einzbern family summoned the Avenger-class Angra Mainyu, they instead brought forth Shirou as a Ruler-class Servant. With Darnic Prestone Yggdmillennia successfully stealing the Greater Grail, the only survivors in Fuyuki City were Shirou and Risei Kotomine. He remained materialized afterward and joined with the Church. He adopted Risei's surname, though he remained distant from Risei's own son.
As the Mage's Association decided to seek one Master from the Church in order to have their involvement prove the legitimacy of their cause, Shirou was dispatched by the Church's Assembly of the Eighth Sacrament as one of the Masters of the Red Faction. He gathered with five of the other Masters of the Red Faction, and he used an unknown method to manipulate them into allowing him to control their Servants.
Shirou wears the vestments of a priest and a golden cross around his neck. He has an innocent, boyish face showing that he has yet to have aged past twenty years of age. Though incarnated decades ago, Left Hand - Xanadu Matrix has granted him his still youthful appearance.
In his lifetime, Shirou walked the path of suffering and despair. He and his comrades fought for their faith and beliefs, and in return, they failed and died. He once hated everything, from God to humans. He claims that he hated humans, not because they had killed him or his comrades, but how humanity easily accepted it as a repeating system in history where life is priceless yet has no value. He finds humanity to be just like Ouroboros, eating themselves in order to grow. Shirou admitted to his failure, his mortality and his guilt. So, he forsook his heart filled with hatred, for the sake of humankind's salvation. He claims he doesn't hate humanity anymore, and that he will save the current six billion people and the people from past and future. He desires to make use of the Holy Grail to fulfill his own ambition.
Shirou appears to be a benign man with an innocent smile; he is in actuality a manipulator who would destroy his adversary with no hesitation in order to fulfill his own ambition. He is essentially a character who looks light on the outside and has a darker personality inside. Kairi sees him as being overly judicious given his supposed age.
Before Nasu wrote Fate/stay night, he claims he was a big fan of Samurai Resurrection, which involved battles between dead historical figures from around Japan. Amakusa Shirou Tokisada was the major antagonist in Samurai Resurrection who commands the historic dead. The character Shirou Kotomine was planned by Nasu, Takeuchi, and Higashide, but the character development was written by Nasu.
Shirou is sent by the Church to observe the Holy Grail War as the overseer and to participate as one of the Masters of the Red Faction. He takes control of the five puppet Masters, and he and Assassin are the ones present for the summonings of Archer of Red and Rider of Red. Pretending to provisionally act as the mediator for the other Servants, Rider and Archer are wary of their Masters not showing themselves and of his presence. Caster of Red has oppositely taken to calling him Master. Upon the arrival of Kairi Sisigou and the summoning of Saber of Red, he uses one of Assassin's dove familiars to deliver a message requesting a meeting. He calmly introduces himself upon their arrival, but both are not trusting of him. He requests that Saber be materialized, and he is surprised when he cannot tell of her identity with his ability as Ruler.
He has Assassin reveal herself and begins to discuss the situation of the war. Showing the collected parameters of the Black Faction's Servants, he gives his speculation on the likelihood of Lancer of Black being Vlad III. He confirms that Lancer of Red and Rider have the strength to oppose Black Lancer. Though he tries to get Kairi to reveal the name of Saber, Kairi declines and decides to act alone instead of with the group. Though somewhat troubled by the situation, he agrees to provide Kairi with information on the proceedings of the war as the two leave. Disappointed that they felt suspicious and of being unable to see through Secret of Pedigree, Shirou rejects Assassin's idea of sending an agent after them. Dealing with them as allies until the Black Faction's defeat is in their best interest, so he instead moves onto the topic of the completion of Hanging Gardens of Babylon in three days' time.
They are interrupted moments later by the arrival of Caster, chanting a line from Richard III. When Shirou is unable to identify the line, Caster exaggeratedly laments that he cannot believe Shirou hasn't read one of his greatest works, giving him "The Works of William Shakespeare." As discussion with Assassin brings him back to seriousness, he reveals that Berserker of Red has begun a march on the enemy. Shirou is relatively clam compared to Assassin's shock, and immediately has Assassin send orders for Archer to pursue him in an attempt to stop him, though very unlikely. He thinks that trying to stop Berserker with Command Spells would only delay the inevitable now that he has found his target, so he has Archer back him up instead.
Shirou must work as the overseer in keeping the supernatural away from the public eye, so he must follow Berserker's path to deal with onlookers. Berserker does not dematerialize, so he will be kept busy for the two day march. Telling Caster to stay out of trouble, he tries to encourage him by telling him that the coming war will satisfy his love of stories. He later sends Rider to also back them up.
Shirou controls both the Masters and Servants of the Red faction. He manipulates the Red faction Masters by giving them luxurious throne room and making them believe themselves are in control. Shirou reported to them false information about the events of the ritual, he made them believe that they are winning the Greater Grail War. Shirou unsuccessfully obtained the Command Spells from the Masters but he believes he needs to push them one more time to obtain them all. He considers the servant Ruler as the biggest obstacle and plans for her elimination by ordering Lancer of Red to kill her or detain her.
Shirou managed to transfer the right of masters to him by force as the five masters seem too unconscious and appeared to be under mind control. Currently he has six command spells, he lied to the red faction servants that the five masters willingly transfered their rights to him.
Shirou dreamt about his past and as he woke up, he found his head on the lap of his servant. The two talked about the current situation and the loss of Berserker was of no importance, since he could not be controlled in the first place anyway. He spotted Ruler at the Black faction location. As Assasin's Hanging Gardens of Babylon had been completed, the Red Faction prepared for an all-out assault.
As they assaulted Shirou went alone, as he ran in the forest he encountered Berserker of Black. Shirou, who had eavesdropped on the Black base beforehand, knew the true name of Berserker. He tried to entice her over to his side, but negotiation failed. Assassin sent a duplicate to observe the fight and aid her master. Since Black Keys are not very effective on Frankenstein, Shirou switched to using his enchanted katana. The two were even. Shirou was only an adept swordsman, but it was enough against a Berserker. Shirou detected Jeanne approaching and to avoid contact, he quickly retreated, easily passing 60km/hour when running. Berserker defied her master orders and pursued Shirou. To assist Shirou in his escape, Caster of Red temporarily materialized and used his Noble Phantasm "The Globe: Seat of The King" to stall Frankenstein.
Shirou later ordered Archer of Red to retreat, letting Ruler to gain Berserker of Black's attention. Shirou discussed the transformation of Sieg with Assassin, he concluded that his short-term transformation will not affect the outcome of his plan and it can be ignored.
When Lancer of "Black" transformed into his Legend of Dracula vampire form, Shirou deliberately cut off the mana supply of the Red Servants luring Lancer towards the Greater Grail. Shirou sealed the movements of the vampire with his Black Keys, following up with a Baptism Sacrament in order to exorcize the vampire. Ruler following the vampire, encountered Shirou and realized the truth about him. Shirou reveals the truth about himself and the other Red Servants decide to obey him for now. Shirou asks for Black faction to surrender, and Caster of Black decides to switch sides. Just when things look bleak for Ruler and Archer of Black, Saber of "Red" crashes in and helped them to escape.
As a Ruler class, he has the abilities to track down any Servants and learn their identity, skills and parameters. However there are certain limits, for example Saber of Red's Noble Phantasm Secret of Pedigree can mask out the details of her identity.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
Fate/Apocrypha - Volume 1: Shirou Profile English | JapaneseShirou
Blood type: unknown
One of the master of the "red" faction, he was sent from Cathedral Church.
Master of Assassin of "Red".
By using the Holy Grail War, himself tries to fulfil the ambition.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1
 Fate/Apocrypha miscellaneous notes
Summary of unsorted interview notes from various magazines including Comptiq and Newtype:
- The ligh novel was greenlit by Nasu, as supervisor, Higashide as writter and Konoe as illustrator art.
- David, St.George, Kintoki Sakata & Musashibo Benkei were scrapped by Kinoko Nasu’s idea.
- Nasu said these servants doesn’t fit into plot and they were replaced by four new servants instead.
- Chiron, Avicebron & Achilles were designed by Takeuchi & Nasu, illustrated by Konoe in charge of character design.
- Mordred is the culture of festival achievement thanks from TYPE MOON fanbase.
- Addition of Mordred into F/A was Takeuchi’s idea and Nasu agreed.
- Mordred was orginally to be male but Nasu feel that having two male characters look feminine (the other being Astolfo) would be too much.
- However, Mordred as a male was not Nasu’s claim of actual fact. In truth, Nasu didn’t decided for final Mordred’s gender since Fate/Stay Night until Fate/Apocrypha. Which mean Mordred was “genderless” in F/SN.
- After the project of online game was scrapped, Nasu said that all servants are too ridiculous powerful and might bored if the player’s powerful servant was facing against other player’s powerful servant. It’s like a hax.
- The online game was based on Infamous 2’s gameplay style.
- Nasu & Takeuchi were laughing about more Saber clone. In fact, Mordred is the real clone of Saber (Altria), so the wish has come true for those people who still saying about Saber clone.
- Karna is Nasu’s favorite servant. Karna’s popularity has been skyrocket thanks to Fate/Extra CCC.
- Astolfo is Konoe’s favourite servant. He is symbol mascot of Fate/Apocrypha. Higashide can’t even tell if this is comfortable or not since Astolfo is dude.
- Yggdmillennia, Sisigou & Kotomine Shirou were planned by Nasu, Takeuchi & Higashide.
- Higashide wrote all Sisigou, Reika & Black camp’s character development, while Homunculus, Kotomine Shirou & four new servants’s character development was already written by Nasu.
- Nasu said that Shirou is basically a character who look to have “light outside and darker inside” personality. Uncanny different trait from Kirei.
- Homunculus (Sieg) was Nasu & Takeuchi’s idea. Nasu wanted introduce male homunculus in Fate series for the first time.
- Takeuchi & Konoe said Homunculus looks cute but dense person.
- Takeuchi stated Homunculus & Jeanne are his new favorite characters, along with Altria.
- Interviewer mention about why Takeuchi like Homunculus. He reply "It’s a secret" due it will trigger the spoiler.
- Jeanne is based on real french student girl according to Takeuchi. She was at same college where Takeuchi studied, before he met someone as model of Arcueid Brunestud’s design from Tsukhime come to his mind.
- The difference between Altria & Jeanne is sex appeal. Which is already explained in TYPE MOON April Fool 2012, where Heroine X (Altria) in furious when she heard that Jeanne’s sex appeal is better than her.
- Tsukihime is Higashide’s favorite visual novel.
- Nasu stated homunculus like Mordred can summoned as Heroic Spirit despite not human being.
- The rules of magecraft in Apocrypha universe are same as in Fate/Stay Night & Fate/Zero except that there is no rule of Ruler classes.
- Ruler’s duty is protect the Holy Grail and oversee the battle.
- Interviewer asked Nasu & Higashide about why Jeanne hijack Leticia’s body rather than ritual summon. Nasu stated it was something broke the rule of HGW and corrupted the system.
- Nasu mention the first servant who hijack human body is Avenger, Angra Mainyu from Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. Who control Emiya Shirou’s body and mind since he has no body but void form. The theory that come from Rin Tohsaka was correct.
- Roa from Tsukihime was also can hijack the human body (Ciel & Tohno SHIKI) but reincarnation soul while he was in Akasha.
- Nasu & Higashide admit it was silly idea in the first place. But they wanted Jeanne to have some disadvantages/weakness for herself due she was powerful servant and might kinda “boring” if she summoned as spirit form. (Avoid fan calling her a mary sue).
- Which mean any servant can hijack the human body while in critical condition but it's rarely.
- Karna’s background story has been altered in comparison to his original myth in Mahabrarat. This means, Karna is Nasu!Karna, not Myth!Karna which we know.
- The rule of summoning Ruler is who can guide the war during in his/her past and a sainthood(?) as specific condition. Only one Ruler class is summoned in one war. The this system works in Apocrypha universe only.
- St.George was remove because of this. Karna, however he refuse refer himself a saint and a killing machine who can kill God, summoned as Lancer class instead.
- The Greater Grail force summon the servant as Ruler when met the condition completed.
- If Jeanne is summoned in different universe without rules of Ruler, her class will be obviously Saber. She still will be summoned as Ruler if the mishap of war affected the result in different universe.
- Jeanne was first mention in Kara no Kyoukai’s light novel reference: Mikiya Kokutou mentions her when he was discussing about Heroic Spirits who utilized the power of the Counter Force.
- While the design for Jeanne wasn’t made during the production of the Fate/Zero novels, the design was completed around the time of the anime adaptation.
- ↑ TYPE-MOON History